Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ramblings Of An Under-Utilised Mind


There was a time when I was so self-conscious about showing anyone my writing, that I would have been horrified at the idea of blogs! I don't know if it's my nature that's changed to "I don't really care about what others think" or my belief in my writing skills (after working at a paper, NewAge for a little while) or what exactly has changed, that allows me to actually enjoy doing blog entries. LOL really or it could be plain boredom as I haven't really been doing much at all this summer in Bangladesh.

Have you ever thought about how useful the word LOL really is? I mean a plain smile at the end of that sentence I wrote on the top paragraph about the boredom bit, would have only expressed mild cheerfulness. "Hehe" at the beginning would have just made me sound plain silly. But "LOL" is kinda like I'm laughing heartedly but mocking myself at the same time. I feel like it's perfect for me. And I don't know if it's common but do you too, think, "LOL", and are just a little tempted to say it out loud in the middle of actual, face-to-face conversations?

I don't know if it's the British dry humor or just Hugh Grant that made me laugh throughout Music and Lyrics. I loved it! I do realize what a silly movie it is but I am ashamed to say I quite enjoy chickflicks! :) Sometimes I think I shouldn't be liking Hugh Grant so much, what with his prostitute scandal and stuff but I'm yet to really decide how I feel about either that or prostitution. Just to clarify, like most other people, I am confused about whether prostitution should be legalized or not given all its pros and cons. LOL I realize that doesn’t say much, but that's a whole different blog entry.

One thing that I actually have been doing, (after all that talk about not seeing through to any of my plans in the last entry and also in this one) is reading the translation of the Quran. I must admit when I started looking at it, it was from a womens studies major's perspective but as I go on, I get confused about whether I am looking at it for my own interest, as in for my own life or for my studies and to make arguments in papers, to friends and stuff. My parents are from two separate worlds of understanding when it comes to religion. My mom is extremely conservative, traditional and completely confused about where one begins and the other ends. My dad on the other hand, is as laid back about religion as he is about most other things given that there is some sort of explanation or logic behind the matter. Isn't that interesting? It really gave us the space to kinda make up our own minds about things between their two extremes. Religion, has been one of them for me. I know I like my religion and no matter what anyone else says I don't really feel like it is as strict as people make it out to be. What's more interesting is that God has asked us to interpret the Quran on our own to be able to guide our own lives. I mean how much more leeway can you get from a religion than that? Of course leaving the Quran to be translated by every Tom, Dick and Harry also means that you leave it open to be taken out of context and be used anyway people want. Anyway, the reason I mention religion at all is because of something interesting I have noticed from people's understanding of Surah 4 which is about women. I've had to look at that Surah a couple of times for different women's studies or religion courses I've taken. Since then, I've also looked at that same chapter for my own interest. Funny enough every time I ask someone different to explain it to me like my TA, Professor, friends or even my dad, I get a different explanation for the lines. I am yet to figure out if it's because of the English translation because I never managed to give the same translation of Surah 4 to the people I've asked or because really, it is supposed to mean something different to each of us given our backgrounds and understanding of things. I don't know. I am quite confused and have even thought of maybe learning Arabic to actually understand the Quran. LOL but that's where my laziness and attitude for never seeing through to any plans really kick in!

In case you’re wondering, I am not really religious. LOL or at least not in the typical “Islamic” way :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

in this chauvinistic world, is there an ethical choice but to decriminalize it? i dunno, just saying. but you're the women's studies major. (...since when?)

And how are you?